Google has become the primary web browser to compete with other web browsers in the market. It is widely accessed by users on desktops as well as on smartphones. Google has always tried to make its browser secure for its users. Maybe due to this, it has been considered as the most trusted web browser. Other than the security, Google offers other great features including high speed, lower memory consumption, comprehensive compatibility and great browsing experience to their valuable users. But sometimes due to incorrect SSL certificate installations, users have to face various problems.
Guide To Fix net::err_cert_authority_invalid error
You might have been watching a notification on your browser window that contains a suitable heading of error Err_cert_authority_invalid. It is a serious issue that is required to be resolved as fast as possible. For further information, you can get some specific answers to your questions below:
What is Err_cert_authority_invalid?
If you are notified with Err_cert_authority_invalid it means there is some sort of problem with the certificate authority that had issued the SSL certificate. There are mainly two types of SSL certificates:
- COMPARE STANDARD(DV) SSL CERTIFICATES
- COMPARE ORGANIZATION VALIDATION (OV) SSL CERTIFICATES
Errors in these certificates can be due to user’s inappropriate system or due to improper installation of the SSL certificate.
Why err_cert_authority_invalid occur? Explain the reasons.
Basically, there are two main reasons for receiving this kind of error:
- The Certificate authority that had issued this certificate is not trusted
- The Certificate is self-witnessed
These kinds of certificates are used by inappropriate authorities or hackers to represent an established and trusted website. So you should not take these kinds of notifications lightly as they can be dangerous for you. The best way is to contact the owner of the website and complaint them about the issue you are facing.
Another way is to add the root certificate manually. But this method should only be tried if you are an IT person and your company has hired a private CA.
Out of all, we suggest you use the first method. Contact the site owners and wait for some time until they fix the issue.
Steps to fix err_cert_authority_invalid:
This error must be fixed in a timely manner; otherwise it could become problematic for you as you would lose your access to internet. To resolve this issue, there are a plethora of methods to provide a right solution that will fix this error from your browser.
Here are some tips you need to follow to fix them up:
Method 1 – Check And Set Time And Date
Many of the times, chrome may display an error as NET:: ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID. Don’t worry; you don’t need any computer software to resolve it. It can be resolved very easily. This error is highlighted due to improper time and date update on your desktop. You can fix it just by modifying the date and time according to your specific time zone and all the things will settle down accordingly.
Method 2 – Check Prevent Warning
As you have known that, ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID is a chrome error when user system is not compatible with the user’s website. This can be an indication of an outdated system or a disabled network connection. Other than that, a portion of the operating system is not supporting the updated version of SSL certificate encryption algorithm. If your certificate is from an invalid certificate authority (CA) Google chrome set off an error like ‘your connection is not private or ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID. To solve this kind of error, you need to contact the admin of website and ask for a trusted SSL certificate from the authorities and get it installed.
To resolve the err_cert_authority_invalid error, follow the steps given below:
- Start by Opening your Google Chrome browser and then, type chrome://flags.
- Click on Enter button and you will find many options.
- Just scroll down and find this specific option that says Remember decisions to proceed through SSL errors for a specified length of time section.
- When you find it, choose options from the drop-down menu given in the section.
- You will now see that the given drop-down menu has a time period that is preventing the SSL certificate warning for a definite amount of time.
- In the end, close the page and click to refresh your browser.
Other Methods To Fix this issue:
To fix up the error ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID, you need to follow these given steps:
- Check whether your connection is activated or inactivated. If the connection is inactivated turn it on. Now try again to access that website.
- This error could also be displayed due to expired cookies. You have to clear all the previous cookies or there is an option. You can access that website in incognito mode or CTRL + SHIFT + N.
- This error is a common complication in old versions of the operating system. You need to update your system to resolve this error.
- Check whether any antivirus is not creating such an error. Sometimes, antivirus blocks the HTTPS from some suspicious sites. In such a case, you need to turn off that antivirus application for some time until you are accessing the site.
- Look For an Expired SSL certificate: Sometimes, there may be a chance that your SSL certificate gets expired, Google will block all the access and will show an error. In such conditions, rapid action is required. Contact the admin of website for renewal or new purchase of the certificate so you can reinstall it.
- Check if the SSL is not installed properly: It is very important to install the SSL certificates properly so that it does not interrupt in your work. If some problem is caused due to the improper installation of certificates, google chrome will notify errors. in such kinds of errors kindly check that the certificate is installed properly. If not you can use the SSL installation guide to reinstall it on the server.
This Err_Cert_Authority_Invalid error is one part of the SSL certificate problems that looks big but is very easy to resolve. All you have to do is look after that these certificates installation properly and check whether they have not expired. Also, try to keep a check on the regular update of date and time. Now that you are fully aware of all the information, you can easily find a relevant solution that will resolve your error in no time. This will end your worries and you can again enjoy using your browser easily.